Harvesting salted tomatoes with garlic is a popular recipe among many gardeners. By adding various spices and seasonings, you can give the salting an unusual taste and serve tomatoes to the table throughout the winter.
Features of pickling tomatoes with garlic
For the preparation of pickled tomatoes for the winter, you can use the fruits of various varieties, as well as not fully ripe specimens. Observing a simple recipe, you will be able to make a delicious preparation. Based on personal preferences, you can change the basic recipe and add new ingredients.
Rules for the selection and preparation of ingredients
When choosing vegetables for harvesting, it is better to give preference to tomatoes with dense pulp and thick skin. Such specimens will not burst or soften from exposure to brine. The so-called cream tomatoes are ideal for pickling, as they grow to almost the same size and are thus evenly salted. It is also recommended to select vegetables of the same variety.
How to properly prepare containers for the beginning of the process
In order for the workpiece to be preserved for a long time, it is important to properly prepare the container. Tins for tomatoes should be thoroughly rinsed from the inside and make sure there are no chips or cracks on them. You also need to inspect the covers, and if they are twisting, then it is advisable that they are new.
The most convenient way to sterilize cans is to bake them in the oven. After washing, wet jars are placed in the oven and turned on at a temperature of 160 degrees. It is necessary to warm up the containers until the water droplets completely evaporate.
The best recipes
Several recipes for cooking tomatoes have spread among the people. Depending on your taste preferences and the ingredients available, you should choose the most suitable pickling method.
Tomatoes in the snow
The recipe for vegetables with salt and sugar is called tomatoes in the snow. To prepare, you need to follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Tomatoes are washed and placed in jars without adding any seasonings.
- Pour vegetables with boiling water, cover the containers with lids and insist for 10 minutes. During this time, peel the head of garlic and rub the cloves on a grater.
- The water from the cans is poured into a large saucepan and the brine is prepared there, adding sugar and salt. The marinade is brought to a boil on the stove and then the vinegar is added.
- Garlic mass and tomatoes are poured into the jars, after which hot brine is poured and screwed with metal lids.
- Salted containers are turned upside down and kept in this state until they cool completely.
Option without sterilization
The process of preparing sweet tomatoes without sterilization involves a few simple steps. First, the fruits are sorted out and the damaged specimens are sifted out. Selected tomatoes are washed, dried and pricked with a toothpick where the stalk is held. The recipe technology is as follows:
- tomatoes with carrots and onions are placed in prepared containers;
- vegetables are poured with boiling water, covered with a lid and kept for 15 minutes, after which the water is drained and the procedure is repeated;
- to prepare the marinade, boiled water must be salted and added a little sugar, and then cook for 5-7 minutes and add vinegar;
- hot marinade is poured into jars, at the same time pouring spices into them;
- when the vegetables are completely covered with liquid, the jars are tightened with lids and turned upside down;
- the workpieces are left stationary for 3 days, covered with a warm cloth on top.
With horseradish and pepper
The addition of horseradish and pepper gives the preparation a richer flavor. The ingredients are chopped, placed in a blender and chopped with a metal knife. Then the chopped mass together with the tomatoes is placed in sterilized jars and poured with hot brine. Boil the water for pickling tomatoes, add salt and lightly sweeten with sugar, then pour in the vinegar.
In tomato juice
To prepare tomato juice for pickling, you need to squeeze it out of several tomatoes, dilute with salt and sugar, and then heat on the stove. First, the vegetables, along with garlic and seasonings, are poured with boiling water and infused for 15 minutes, after which the water is drained and hot juice is immediately poured.
By adding carrots to the salting, it is possible to give the vegetables an unusual taste that differs from other types of preservation. Peel the carrots, boil for 5-7 minutes and cut into slices. Then, along with tomatoes and spices, the chopped carrots are placed in a jar and poured with marinade.
You can form a jelly-like substance inside a jar of pickles by adding dry gelatin. One can use a tablespoon of the substance. First, put the tomatoes and all the additional ingredients, then add gelatin, pour in the marinade and twist the jars.
By adding cinnamon to the preparation with tomatoes, it will be possible to give the vegetables a pleasant taste and aroma. It is enough to use a small amount of spice, taking cinnamon on the tip of a knife.
With garlic inside the fruit
To place the garlic inside the tomato, you need to carefully cut out the central part of the fruit with a knife and place 1-2 cloves there. Pre-wash the tomatoes and dry well. Tomatoes with garlic inside are placed in a jar, seasonings are added and the marinade is poured. During storage, tomatoes partially absorb the juice of the garlic and acquire an unusual taste.
Tomatoes for the winter with the taste of fresh tomatoes
The fruits will retain their fresh taste after storage if they are first prepared for salting. It is necessary to divide the fruits into 4 parts, remove the skin, remove the stalk and mix with salt. Then the ingredients are put on fire and brought to a boil, and then the water is drained and the marinade prepared according to the standard technology is poured.
Further storage of workpieces
It is recommended to store workpieces in a cool, dark place. The best places are a cellar, garage or balcony.