Persimmon is a domestic selection of tomatoes, currently one of the most promising on the market. Persimmon tomato is distinguished by its rounded shape and orange color, reminiscent of an exotic fruit.
Description of the variety
Persimmon is a young variety, bred in a selective way. His description is currently not found in all literature. Persimmon belongs to the determinant mid-season varieties. Plants reach a height of 80 centimeters. In a greenhouse, the bushes stretch up to 1-2 meters. The stems are powerful, branched. A garter is required during the fruiting period. The bushes are distinguished by abundant foliage.
According to the description of the Persimmon tomato variety, the growing season is 120 days. The species is distinguished by large, rounded fruits. The color of the tomatoes is bright yellow or orange. The rind is dense, glossy. The average weight of a tomato reaches 300 grams. Up to 3 fruits are tied on a branch. From the bush, subject to the rules of care, up to 2 kilograms of the crop are harvested. The taste of tomatoes is sweet; when overripe, a slight sourness appears.
Ripe fruits have 6 to 8 chambers. The pulp is tender. The number of seeds in tomatoes is small, the size is small.
Tomatoes are ideal for fresh consumption, slices or salads. The characteristics of the fruit indicate their use as a table. Tomatoes are actively used for making juice, sauces, mashed potatoes and other preserves.
Features of agricultural technology
Persimmon tomatoes are thermophilic varieties. For this reason, the tomato is optimal for cultivation in the southern regions of the country or closed greenhouses. Weak resistance to pests and demanding care make this variety difficult for novice gardeners to grow.
To obtain an early and abundant harvest, plant seeds are sown for seedlings in early March. They are pretreated with disinfectants and soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Good germination of Persimmon tomato seeds makes the preliminary preparation stage optional. The optimum temperature for seedlings germination is 22 - 25 degrees. At the stage of 2 true leaves, the plants dive. Daylight hours for the growth of strong plants should be from 14 to 16 hours. It is optimal to carry out additional lighting in the morning and evening hours.
The plantings are transferred to open ground after the last frost, when the seedlings have reached the age of 55 days. The optimal time is mid-May. Earlier planting in hotbeds and greenhouses is allowed.
The bushes are planted separately from each other at a distance of 40 centimeters. Thickening of the planting leads to damage to plants by late blight and other diseases. Persimmon tomato is distinguished by abundant growth of greenery. To increase the productivity of the bush, it is necessary to pinch it.
Growing plants in a greenhouse requires sowing seedlings in mid to late February. Planting in the ground is carried out in April. For cultivation of Persimmon in open ground, it is recommended to harden seedlings. To do this, 2 - 3 weeks before planting, the plants are taken out into the open air. Treatments start at 15-30 minutes and finish at 5-6 hours. It is considered optimal to increase the difference between night and day air temperatures.
With proper care and timely planting, fruit ripening begins at the end of June and lasts for 3-4 months, until the onset of stable cold weather. During the ripening period, it is necessary to apply mineral and organic fertilizers. Watering is done under the root of the bush.
Persimmon tomatoes do not tolerate high humidity. The first signs of late blight require immediate removal of the affected branches and treatment with a solution of whey with iodine.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like most types of tomatoes, the Persimmon variety has its own advantages and disadvantages.
It should be noted that he has much more positive qualities:
- Good yield. The variety allows you to get up to 4 kilograms of fruit from one bush. Tomatoes are large in size.
- High palatability. The fruits are characterized by juicy pulp and sweet taste.
- Long-term keeping quality. The fruits are suitable for storage. They are distinguished by a dense peel that does not allow the tomatoes to spoil quickly.
- Versatility of use. Initially, tomatoes are considered a table variety. High taste characteristics made it possible to use the fruits for juicing and preservation.
- High germination. Tomato seeds sprout in 90% of cases, even without pretreatment. The seedlings are suitable for growing plants in greenhouses, greenhouses or open field.
- Possibility of harvesting before ripening. The Persimmon tomato variety allows harvesting of fruits until they ripen. Tomatoes reach maturity without losing their taste.
Among the disadvantages of the variety, it should be noted its exactingness to care. Plants are sensitive to temperature conditions and insufficient soil moisture. As they grow, the bushes are tied up. The installation of supports allows you to avoid breaking of adult plants under the weight of the fruit.
Tomatoes are susceptible to fungal diseases. The bushes are most seriously affected by late blight. To obtain a good harvest, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics and description of the Persimmon tomato variety.
Numerous reviews of gardeners about Persimmon unequivocally say that the variety is distinguished by its pleasant taste. According to those who planted Persimmons, tomatoes give off an unusual color, sweet pulp and aroma. As one of the gardeners states: “I have been growing the variety for several years. If you carry out pinching and process the plants in time, then the harvest is abundant. Some fruits reach 500 grams ”.
Experienced gardeners provide several tips that allow you to grow healthy plants and get a good harvest:
- Disease resistance requires timely feeding and processing of plants. Loosening, mulch and processing with pharmaceutical preparations effectively help against diseases. It is recommended to plant no more than 3 bushes per 1 square meter.
- Plants require a garter during the fruiting period. The large weight of the fruit is capable of breaking off thin branches.
- Persimmon does not tolerate moisture, but requires abundant watering strictly under the root of the plant.
- High yields are observed in unheated greenhouses with a constant supply of fresh air.
Compliance with the rules of agricultural technology, timely care and treatment from diseases allow you to achieve a good harvest.