A good harvest is always a joy for the gardener. But at the same time, a large amount of harvested vegetables brings certain troubles, since everything needs to be processed. Often, cucumbers and tomatoes ripen at the same time, so there are many assorted recipes with these vegetables. Especially noteworthy is the assorted recipe, in which tomatoes and cucumbers are preserved for the winter with citric acid.
Features of canning assorted cucumbers and tomatoes with citric acid for the winter
Assorted cucumbers and tomatoes can be prepared with or without sterilization. The sterilization process allows the assortment to be prepared for long-term storage, as well as to preserve its appearance.
But without sterilization, you can effectively prepare vegetables for the winter. For such recipes, it is necessary to wash the vegetables very thoroughly and sterilize the dishes separately.
How to choose the right ingredients
When choosing ingredients, you must follow the following rules:
- When choosing cucumbers, you need to pay attention to three points. Color - dark green, presence of pimples, length - from 6 to 12 centimeters. In addition, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the peel is thin, the fullness remains, a small amount of seeds.
- Tomatoes for cooking for the winter must be selected small or medium in size, with a firm skin. The Red Cream variety is ideal for such purposes, which, when preserved, retains its original appearance and taste.
Important! When picking tomatoes, cucumbers for pickling, do not give preference to soft or damaged specimens.
Preparation of containers
In the process of canning, it is important to pay special attention not only to the selection of vegetables, but also to the preparation of containers. For these purposes, glass jars are used, which are previously needed:
- rinse thoroughly;
- steam sterilize.
All of the above actions are necessary in order to eliminate microbes that can negatively affect the shelf life and taste characteristics.
The best assorted recipes
You can tirelessly list the recipes for assorted tomatoes and cucumbers, since there are so many of them. More interesting options in detail.
Assorted tomatoes and cucumbers with citric acid
In order to prepare an assortment of tomatoes and cucumbers in a 3 liter jar, you will need to do the following:
- Wash 800 grams of cucumbers, cut the tails. Also prepare 800 grams of tomato.
- Put 3 dill umbrellas, 5 cherry leaves, 6 currant leaves, 6 garlic cloves in a jar, 2 hot pepper rings, 200 grams of carrots, cut into slices, 1 bell pepper, cut into strips.
- Put cucumbers, tomatoes in a jar. Boil 1.5 liters of water and pour vegetables into a jar. Cover and leave for 15 minutes.
- Pour out the water, boil again and pour into the jar. Leave on for 20 minutes. Drain. Bring to a boil, add 4 teaspoons of salt, 8 teaspoons of sugar, mix thoroughly to dissolve.
- Pour into a jar, add 1 teaspoon of citric acid, seal with a lid.
- Roll on the table to dissolve the added ingredients, turn upside down, cover with a warm blanket.
After cooling, the assortment is ready.
Cherry Leaves Option
Vegetables prepared according to this recipe remain crispy and have a very unusual taste. The following ingredients must be prepared:
- cucumbers - 300 grams;
- tomatoes - 200 grams;
- Bulgarian pepper - 200 grams;
- cherry leaves - 3 pieces;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- bay leaf - 1 piece;
- allspice - 5 peas;
- granulated sugar - 1.5 teaspoon;
- salt - 1 teaspoon;
- citric acid - 1/3 teaspoon.
How to cook:
- Cut the prepared cucumbers into rings, bell pepper into small pieces.
- Put the prepared spices in a jar. Lay vegetables in layers.
- Boil water, add vegetables and leave for 10 minutes. Drain, boil again, pour over and leave for another 10 minutes.
- Drain and prepare the marinade by dissolving granulated sugar, citric acid and salt. Bring to a boil, pour over vegetables, seal tightly. Wrap in a warm blanket until completely cooled.
Note! In order to give the vegetables an unusual piquant pungency, add ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds to the brine.
Cooking an assortment of cucumbers and tomatoes in Bulgarian consists of the following steps:
- First of all, put peeled horseradish, dill umbrellas, garlic, ½ hot pepper on the bottom of the cans.
- Chop cucumbers and tomatoes, lay in layers, sprinkle each layer with chopped garlic.
- Put ½ hot pepper on top of vegetables, some dill umbrellas and a few garlic cloves.
- Prepare the marinade. To do this, pour water into a container, add 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 50 grams of vinegar to it. Bring to a boil on the stove, pour the vegetables into the jar and sterilize for 15 minutes.
- Close hermetically, wrap the jars in a blanket, leave to cool completely.
Storage rules and periods of conservation
In order for canned tomatoes and cucumbers to be stored for a long time, the following conditions must be observed:
- keeping the room cool;
- protection from sunlight.
With the correct preparation technology and compliance with the above conditions, the workpieces can be stored from six months to 2 years.